Sacramento Bicycle Accident Lawyer
YEARS OF EXPERIENCE
Schedule A Free Case Evaluation Today!
WE HAVE HELPED THOUSANDS OF BICYCLE ACCIDENT VICTIMS
Bicycle Accident Attorney In Sacramento
Do I Need a Lawyer for a Bicycle Accident Claim In Sacramento?
It’s common to question the need for a bicycle accident lawyer in Sacramento following an accident. While it’s true that victims can independently file a claim, the labyrinth of legal proceedings and insurance negotiations can be overwhelming, confusing, and time-consuming. Insurance companies, more often than not, employ tactics to minimize payouts or outright deny claims. An experienced Sacramento bicycle accident attorney can help you navigate these complexities, negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf, and help you receive maximum compensation.
Common Causes of Bicycle Accident Injuries
A variety of factors contribute to bicycle accidents. Understanding the reasons behind bicycle accidents is essential for preventing and understanding your legal rights. Below are listed a few common causes of bicycle accident injuries.
- Poor Road Conditions: Poorly maintained roads, littered with potholes and debris, present a significant hazard to cyclists. Even the most careful cyclists can fall victim to accidents due to such conditions.
- Defective Equipment: Equipment failure due to manufacturing defects or poor maintenance can lead to catastrophic accidents.
- Distracted Driving: Whether texting, adjusting the radio, or eating, drivers who aren’t paying attention to the road can easily overlook cyclists.
- Dooring: This happens when a car’s door is opened without checking for oncoming cyclists, causing a collision.
- Right, and Left Turns: Accidents often occur when drivers make a turn and don’t see a cyclist in their path. This is common with both right and left turns.
- Speeding: Drivers who exceed the speed limit have less time to react to unexpected events, such as a cyclist entering their path.
- Impaired Driving: Alcohol or drug use can significantly impair a driver’s abilities, leading to severe accidents.
- Failure to Yield: Many accidents happen at intersections where drivers fail to yield the right-of-way to cyclists.
Most Common Types of Bicycle Accident Injuries
Bicycle accidents can lead to many injuries, from minor scrapes to more serious, life-threatening conditions. The following are the most common types of bicycle accident injuries.
- Road Rash: This term refers to skin abrasions when cyclists slide across the pavement after collisions. These can range from minor scrapes to severe lacerations.
- Broken Bones: This is one of the most common injuries sustained in a bicycle accident. The impact of a collision often leads to broken or fractured bones, particularly in the arms, legs, or collarbone.
- Head Injuries: Despite the protection provided by helmets, cyclists are still prone to head injuries, including concussions and traumatic brain injuries.
California Bicycle Accident Statistics
Cycling is prevalent in California, contributing to many bicycle accidents each year. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), California has consistently had one of the country’s highest number of bicycle fatalities. The state accounted for more than 15% of all bicycle deaths nationwide. There were reportedly more than 11,000 bicyclist injuries and fatalities in 2019.
These statistics highlight the importance of safety measures and following traffic laws to prevent accidents. They underscore the need for legal representation to help victims navigate the complex aftermath of a bicycle accident in California.
What Should I Do Immediately Following a Bicycle Accident?
The moments following a bicycle accident can be disorienting, but taking the proper steps can protect your health and legal rights. Consider the following steps immediately after a bicycle accident.
- Seek Medical Attention: Your health should be your top priority. Even if your injuries seem minor, they could be more severe than you initially realize. Contact a medical professional for the necessary treatment.
- Contact the Police: Filing an official report can document essential details about the accident, which can be helpful in a legal claim. Be sure to obtain a copy of this report.
- Gather Information: Collect details such as the driver’s name, contact information, insurance details, and vehicle license plate number. If there were any witnesses, try to get their contact information.
- Document the Scene: If possible, take photos or videos of the accident scene, including your injuries, damages to your bike, the vehicle involved, and any relevant road conditions or traffic signs. Also, collect the contact numbers of the eyewitnesses of the accident.
- Contact a Bicycle Accident Attorney: Consult with a seasoned Sacramento bicycle accident attorney as soon as possible. They make you understand your legal options and initiate a claim appropriately.
Compensation for Bicycle Accidents in Sacramento, CA
Bicycle accident victims in Sacramento, CA, are entitled to compensation for three types of damages: Economic Damages, Non-Economic Damages, and Punitive Damages.
Economic damages aim to cover the financial burdens a victim incurs due to the accident. These can be calculated relatively objectively and may include the following:
- Medical expenses: This includes the costs of emergency room visits, hospital stays, surgeries, rehabilitation, physical therapy, and any necessary future medical care.
- Lost wages: If the victim’s injuries prevent them from working, they may be compensated for lost income. This also applies to reduced earning capacity if the victim can no longer perform the same job as before the accident.
- Property damage: Economic damages can also cover the cost of repairing or replacing a damaged bicycle or other personal belongings.
Non-economic damages are less tangible and can be more challenging to quantify. They aim to compensate for the emotional and psychological impacts of an accident. These may include:
- Pain and suffering: This encompasses the physical pain and emotional distress experienced due to the accident and the resulting injuries.
- Emotional distress: The trauma of the accident may cause emotional repercussions, such as anxiety, depression, or post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
- Loss of enjoyment of life: If the victim’s injuries prevent them from enjoying hobbies, recreational activities, or everyday pleasures, they may be compensated for this loss.
In cases where the defendant’s actions were reckless or malicious, the court may award punitive damages to discourage such behavior. However, these damages are not typically awarded in most personal injury cases.
Local Courthouse – Bicycle Accident Lawyer Near Sacramento, CA
If you or your loved one have been involved in a bicycle accident in Sacramento, California, we know you are going through a tough time. Hiring the right bicycle accident lawyer can make a significant difference when dealing with such a difficult time. You will spend hours and hours at your local Sacramento Courthouse trying to figure out what to do on your own. If you don’t hire a lawyer, you might waste countless hours and likely receive less settlement than you could have gotten with professional help. That’s why hiring the right lawyer can help to resolve your case and settle it faster. Most importantly, you’re more likely to receive a larger settlement.
At J.G. Winter Law, we’re here to help, and it won’t cost you anything to consult with us. If you have any questions or want to know how much you might be owed, contact us for a free consultation. In California, you have up to 2 years to file a claim and sue for compensation. If you decide to go to the court by yourself, you can find Sacramento County Courthouse at 720 9th Street, Sacramento, CA 95814. But, if you want professional help, our bicycle accident lawyer in Sacramento would gladly assist you.
Call Us Today – 844.734.2626 To Learn More !
Contact a Top-Rated Sacramento Bicycle Accident Lawyer Today
We, J.G. Winter Law, have years of experience advocating for the rights of bicycle accident victims across California, including in Sacramento. We work tirelessly to secure a fair settlement throughout your bicycle accident case. Contact us, and let us fight for your justice. We are ready to assist you every step of the way.
- Medical expenses
- Long-term care
- Loss of wages
- Loss of earning power
- Pain and suffering
We stand behind the principle that financial cost should not hinder your ability to attain experienced legal advocacy. It is our promise that you will not pay anything unless we win your case for you.
Sacramento Bicycle Accident Attorney FAQs
What is the statute of limitations in California for bicycle accidents?
What if the accident was partly my fault?
Who can be held liable for a bicycle accident?
Do I still have a case if a pothole caused my accident?
What should I do if I was hit by a Hit-and-run driver?
How much does a Sacramento Bicycle Accident Attorney cost?
Visit Us Today
Law Offices of J.G. Winter
1540 River Park Dr
Sacramento, CA 95815