Folsom Car Accident Attorney
Each year, over one million people suffer catastrophic injuries. If you or a loved one has sustained a catastrophic injury because of another party’s careless actions in Sacramento or across California, please contact the Law Offices of JG Winter.
YEARS OF EXPERIENCE
Schedule A Free Case Evaluation Today!
WE HAVE HELPED THOUSANDS OF CATASTROPHIC INJURY VICTIMS
Car Accident Lawyer in Folsom
When our injury attorneys represent clients who have suffered a catastrophic injury, we assess the overall effect on their lives. We do not evaluate simply how a person feels immediately after a car accident or slip-and-fall. Instead, we look at the full scope of not only physical injuries and limitations but also home life, work, and an individual’s ability to enjoy life.
Receiving damages for your accident-related expenses will be hard to do on your own, especially if you are not familiar with California’s personal injury laws. At The Law Offices of J.G. Winter, our Folsom car accident lawyers are knowledgeable in these cases and know how to create a winning strategy to help you get back on your feet.
Causes of Car Accidents in California
Folsom car accidents are typically the result of another driver acting negligently. Understanding what causes car crashes in California is vital to keeping yourself safe on the road.
- Drunk driving: 1,120 people died in California resulting from driving under the influence (DUI) accidents—the highest in the nation in 2017. Drivers are legally drunk when their blood alcohol concentration (BAC) is .08% or higher. Most DUI fatalities occur between 3 a.m. and 5 a.m., so try to avoid driving during those hours. Additionally, if you notice a vehicle swerving, speeding, or stopping suddenly, the driver may be drunk. When this happens, keep your distance and report the driver to local law enforcement.
- Distracted driving: Any time drivers are not aware of their surroundings, they create a hazardous condition for others. Texting while driving is a leading cause of accidents, but there are many other forms of distracted driving. Eating, adjusting the radio, interacting with passengers, looking at the GPS, and daydreaming are all distractions that may cause a collision. Distracted driving may look like drunk driving, but you should still keep your distance and call 911 when it is safe.
- Excessive speeding: When drivers speed, it takes more time for their car to come to a safe and complete stop. It also makes a crash more likely because speeding reduces a driver’s reaction time and control over their vehicle. If you notice a speeding vehicle, move to a different lane and allow them to pass you.
- Failure to obey traffic laws: Running red lights, ignoring stop signs, and improperly changing lanes all contribute to traffic accidents. When you are at a stop sign or red light, check for cross traffic before proceeding through. When on a multi-lane road, always be aware of other vehicles and be on the lookout for sudden lane changes.
Remember, the most dangerous thing on the road is other drivers. Being aware of your surroundings is the best way to avoid a collision in Folsom.
Different Types of Car Accidents in Folsom
In addition to knowing the common causes of car accidents, you should also be aware of the different types of crashes. Some common car accident types in California include:
- Rear-end collisions: When a driver is tailgating the vehicle in front of them, they increase the chance of rear-end collision. These accidents typically occur in heavy traffic areas and can result in a chain reaction involving multiple vehicles.
- Head-on crashes: Frontal impact accidents result in more passenger deaths than any other accident type. These crashes happen when one vehicle leaves its lane and collides with another going the opposite direction. While they are rare, head-on accidents are more likely to occur in rural and suburban areas since there is no median separating traffic.
- Side impact accidents: T-bone accidents occur when one vehicle hits another at a perpendicular angle, forming a “T” shape. They often happen at intersections.
How to Stay Safe When Driving on California Roads
While there is no one strategy to prevent a California car accident, there are many things you can do to keep yourself safe. One of the easiest ways to do this is by not engaging in distractions. Never use your phone when behind the wheel. Not only is holding your cell phone while driving illegal in California, but it is also extremely reckless. Additionally, avoid eating, adjusting the GPS, and interacting with passengers when behind the wheel.
You should never drive under the influence. Twenty-nine people die every day from an alcohol-related car accident. Alcohol impairs your judgment and makes driving a difficult task. Additionally, fatigued driving can have similar effects to alcohol. If you feel tired, do not get behind the wheel.
Finally, always obey all traffic laws. Make sure to stop at traffic lights and stop signs. Even if it is the middle of the night and no one is around. A car can suddenly appear, causing an accident. Additionally, following the speed limit may help avoid an accident. Remember, speed limits are for optimal driving conditions. If it is rainy or foggy, reduce your speed.
Common Injuries from Car Crashes
Injuries from a Folsom car accident can range from minor to severe, depending on the accident. In general, common injuries from car crashes include:
- Broken bones
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Internal injuries
- Spine injuries
- Knee injuries
- Lacerations and bruises
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
After an accident, you should seek medical attention. Even if you feel fine or have no external injuries, a doctor can perform a complete check-up and diagnose any internal injuries. Seeking medical attention may also aid your injury claim. Insurers tend to interpret not going to the doctor as you exaggerating your injuries, making it easier for them to deny or reduce your claim.
What Compensation Can I Receive from My Folsom Car Accident?
All car accidents are different, and the type of compensation you receive will depend on the facts surrounding your case. After thoroughly reviewing your accident and what led up to it, a Folsom car accident attorney might be able to recover the following losses:
- Medical bills
- Physical therapy
- In-home rehabilitation
- Lost wages
- Property damage costs
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Additionally, a court may award you punitive damages. These damages do not compensate you for anything in particular. Instead, they are a way to punish the defendant further if they acted in a grossly negligent manner. Courts also use punitive damages as a way to discourage similar behavior in the future.
Contact an Experienced Car Accident Attorney in Folsom Today
If you were in a car accident in the Folsom area, reach out to The Law Offices of J.G. Winter today. When you partner with Attorney Jeremy Winter, you can be confident that he will do everything possible to obtain a fair and proper settlement. Remember, you only have two years from the accident date to file a personal injury claim. The sooner you contact us, the more help we can be. To schedule a free consultation, call (916) 824-3606 or complete our online contact form.
Call Us Today – 844.734.2626 To Learn More !
Retain Experienced Sacramento Catastrophic Injury Attorneys
Personal injury attorneys at the Law Office of JG Winter in Sacramento have years of proven legal experience and are committed to helping accident victims by pursuing fair and favorable compensation for the life-changing harm that they’ve suffered. We stand by accident victims and their families to rebuild their futures. If you or a family member has suffered a catastrophic injury caused by another party’s negligence, contact the Law Offices of JG Winter for a free consultation by calling (844) 734-2626 or completing our contact form.
If you or a loved one has suffered a catastrophic injury in an accident in California, it is vital that you contact an attorney who has experience handling these intricate cases. At the Law Offices of JG Winter, we will deal with the insurance companies for you and answer all your questions so that you can concentrate on your recovery. With resources that include industry experts, investigators, and medical professionals, we will fight for full and fair compensation for all damages you sustained, including:
- Medical expenses
- Long-term care
- Loss of wages
- Loss of earning power
- Pain and suffering
We stand behind the principle that financial cost should not hinder your ability to attain experienced legal advocacy. It is our promise that you will not pay anything unless we win your case for you.
Frequently Asked Questions About Catastrophic Injuries
Are catastrophic injuries different from other types of injury claims?
A catastrophic injury is a severe, life-altering injury that usually involves long-term consequences. Unlike personal injuries, catastrophic injuries are more likely to affect victims for the rest of their lives. Accident victims typically require surgery and invasive medical treatments to help in their recovery. As a result, catastrophic injury claims entail significant medical care and treatment that must include both current and future losses that victims sustain.
Who is liable for the damages in a catastrophic injury case?
Proving liability in a catastrophic injury case means showing that another person’s negligence resulted in your injuries. Depending on the case, several parties may be liable. For instance, if you were in a car accident with a commercial truck, the trucker, the trucking company, cargo loaders, or the truck manufacturer may be liable. Similarly, if you were in a biking accident, another cyclist, pedestrian, or a vehicle driver could be responsible.
Should I work with an attorney after being involved in a catastrophic injury accident?
Since there could be many different parties responsible for your catastrophic injury accident, you should immediately seek legal representation. Following a catastrophic accident, you may need multiple surgeries or long-term rehabilitation. When you hire an attorney, they can handle all the paperwork and communicate with insurance companies while you focus on your recovery. They can also prepare your case and represent you in court.
Visit Us Today
Law Offices of J.G. Winter
1540 River Park Dr
Sacramento, CA 95815